Phrase: একাধিক word যদি একটিমাত্র part of speech- এর কাজ করে এবং যদি তাতে কোন subect বা finite verb সমাপিকা ক্রিয়া না থাকে, তবে তাকে Phrase বলে।
Example: He likes to go home. (Noun Phrase)
Kinds of Phrase: Phrase ছয় প্রকার:
1.Noun Phrase 2.Adjective Phrase 3.Adverb Phrase 4.Preposition Phrase 5.Conjunctional Phrase 6.Interjectional Phrase
1. Noun Phrase: যে Phrase noun-এর কাজ করে, তাকে Noun Phrase বলে।
1. He wants to play cricket. (wants-what?)
2. We enjoy playing cricket. (enjoy-what?)
2. Adjective Phrase: যে Phrase Adjective-এর কাজ করে, তাকে Adjective Phrase বলে।
1. It is a heroic deed. (Adjective)
It is a deed of a hero. (Adjective Phrase)
2. He is a famous man. (Adjective)
He is a man of fame. (Adjective Phrase)
3. Adverb Phrase: যে Phrase Adverb-এর কাজ করে, তাকে Adverb বা Adverbial Phrase বলে।
1. He runs quickly. (Adverb)
He runs with great speed. (Adverb Phrase)
2. I write carefully. (Adverb)
I write with care. (Adjective Phrase)
3. Salma is coming now. (Adverb)
Salma is coming at this very moment. (Adverb Phrase)
4. Prepositional Phrase: যে Phrase Preposition-এর কাজ করে, তাকে Prepositional Phrase বলে।
1. He stood in front of me. (before)
2. He could not come on account of illness. (for)
3. You can pass by dint of hard work. (by)
5. Conjunctional Phrase: যে Phrase conjunction-এর কাজ করে, তাকে Conjunctional Phrase বলে।
1. Come as soon as you can.
2. He works hard in order that he may pass.
3. Not only he but his friends also were present.
6. Interjectional Phrase: যে Phrase Interjection-এর কাজ করে, তাকে Interjectional Phrase বলে।
1. What a pity! His father is no more.
2. By God! I shall repay the loan.
3. Good gracious! He has got the first prize.